European video game industry grossed over 23 billion euros in revenue last year

In addition to new data on the video game industry in Europe, the latest report reveals more details about the landscape of gamers in the five main markets, which include France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom, where women make up 47% of total players.

In 2020, the video game industry in Europe recorded revenues of around 23.3 billion euros. In terms of the five main markets, which include France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom, revenues total €17.6 billion.

The data are part of a new statement prepared by the Interactive Software Federation of Europe (ISFE) and the European Games Developer Federation (EGDF) in preparation for Gamescom, which starts today and runs until the 28th of August, running in digital format for the second consecutive year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In addition to new industry data, the latest report provides more insight into the gaming landscape in the top five markets. More than 50% of Europeans aged between six and 64 play video games. Although the average age of gamers is 31 years old, the age group that shows the greatest growth is between 45 and 63 years old.

xbox, series, x
Photo by Thor_Deichmann on Pixabay

Women make up 47% of all gamers, also representing 53% of all mobile gamers. The data reveals that, overall, girls who gamble are three times more likely to pursue careers in the field of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics).

When it comes to platforms, 60% of gamers play on their smartphone or tablet, with the average age of players around 25 years old. 54%, with an average age of approximately 32, are fans of consoles, and 49% of gamers, with an average age of around 29, play on PC.

The number of weekly hours spent playing, which in 2020 reached 9.5 hours, increased during the COVID-19 pandemic’s containment periods, reverting to pre-pandemic levels when movement restrictions ended.

Also Read:  Halo Infinite Is Filled With Memes, Dataminers Unfortunately Reveal

The vast majority of players (76%) devote at least an hour a week to games. On the other hand, 15% play for at least one hour a month, and only 8% say they play games once a year.

The data reveals that 21% of parents of younger gamers use parental control tools. 97% of parents say they monitor their children’s spending on games. Two-thirds of parents indicate that they do not allow their children to spend more than a certain amount of money and eight out of 10 parents have some kind of agreement with their children regarding spending.

Compared to last year, the revenues earned by the European video games industry in the top five markets in 2020 grew by 22%. Looking at this panorama, consoles make up 44% of total revenue, followed by smartphones and tablets (40%), PCs (14%), and on-demand/streaming video game platforms (less than 2%).

Last year, the European video games industry employed 86,953 people. In the previous year, the number of people working in this industry was 77,916. It is estimated that 20.38% of all workers are women.

Digital revenues continue to grow and in the five main markets represent 80% of the total, with the remaining 20% ​​being represented by physical copies of video games. By comparison, in 2019, digital revenues in these markets represented 76% of the total. Among the titles that sold the most copies were FIFA 21, Grand Theft Auto V, and FIFA 20.

Total eSports market revenues contracted in 2020, from US$958 million in 2019 to US$947 million. However, they are expected to grow again in 2021, reaching the billion dollar mark. Despite the decrease in revenues, the number of global viewers grew by 9.82% during the COVID-19 pandemic, and in Europe, the total number of viewers, whether occasional or enthusiastic, rose to 92 million.

Related Articles